Then I taped small and large bubble wrap pieces and a sheet of aluminium foil to the center of a 10 x 12" cardboard piece. I made one of each, for five different colors, yellow-green, blue, violet, magenta and red. Then I set up stations for each color with one small bubble wrap, one large bubble wrap and one aluminium foil. On the aluminium foil we painted it and used a cotton swab to draw a pattern into the paint and then printed one of our traced flowers. So the students moved around to each station and printed one of each printing plate in each of the five colors. The students really enjoyed the process and loved printing the bubble wrap. This took one and a half classes to complete. (One reason we'll do less flowers next year.)
Then we used a vase template to trace onto black paper and traced with white crayon. Using white crayon we added curved lines to break up the space and add pattern. Then the six leaves were cut out making sure to leave some of the black marker along the edge and glue in a circle around the top of the vase.
We cut out all the flowers but four and glued them randomly along the top of the vase. The last four flowers were cut out and we added cardboard scraps to the back of the remaining four flowers and glued to top of the vase to give some dimension to the collage.
This is one of the few lessons I came up with on my own. With Pintrest and the internet it's just too easy to use someone else's lesson ideas. I am very happy with how they all turned out and will teach it again next year. I woulds love to hear what you think!
My lesson plan can be found here. My instructional video is included below the slide show.