Jayme sketched out the piece, I mixed up the colored tempera and added some gloss medium to make it more permanent. We then took every class on a “field trip” to the hall to stamp their thumb repeatedly until the paint came off their thumb. We struggled to get the students to turn their thumb in the direction of the lines and movement but most had their thumb following our vision of what the mural should look like.
The kids loved being allowed to paint on the wall and use their thumb too! It prompted a discussion of graffiti art vs. having permission to paint on the wall. Most all the classes recognized it as Starry Night. Each morning while we worked on it, as the kids came in off the buses they would say how great it was looking or “Boy, that’s really taking shape, Mrs. Jackson!” They were very proud of their work.
Our staff really got into it too and we invited them to add their thumb prints as well. The teacher’s loved being a part of it! The mural turned out to include the entire school!
Jayme had the perfect idea of adding some base trim around the mural to frame it. She spray painted it a bronze color and our maintenance department hung it. This really finishes off the mural. I added a clear spray gloss to the top to protect it just a little more. We are very happy with the final product!