During the second class, we began by designing and cutting out our spaceship. I created a number of tag-board patterns of spaceship parts. Each student used these patterns to design their own spaceship and then traced each pattern onto primary colored paper and cut the pieces out. I can identify and use the Primary colors was the second learning objective we were covering.
During the final day, each student glued their spaceship pieces together and then added tissue paper for the rocket booster fire. The last objective to cover was, I can identify the center or middle. So I asked first grade to place their spaceship in the center of their printed paper.
This was the first time I've taught this lesson. Overall I think it went well. My students really enjoyed the printmaking process and the subject matter. We took a class off during this project to make a pinch pot out of clay and they were very excited to get back to their spaceship to finish it. My instructional video is below.