Our learning objective with this project is to create a subtractive printing plate. We used a styrofoam egg tray lids to cut and press a quarter of a radial line design. We used a dull pencil to press deeply without making a hole in the styrofoam. We then used white ink, a brayer and 3" square colored paper pieces to print the design 16 times. When the ink was dry we glued them onto 12" square white paper in four radial designs. I got my inspiration for this project at http://framedinswirlygold.blogspot.com.
With this project we reviewed the learning objective; I can create a still life with one object. We began by cutting out a flower pot shape and then cutting slits to weave paper strips into the pot. This is a very hard task for most first graders. They struggle with the alternating pattern of over one, under one process of paper weaving. We then used paper strips to create three flower stems and scrap paper to cut and add leaves to the stems. We then cut our yellow flower petals the same shape as the leaf and glued in a radial pattern at the top of each stem. This is where I reviewed how overlapping the petals creates the illusion of space and makes the picture look more real. We then added circle centers and glued real sunflower seeds in the center of each flower for that special touch! My instructional video is below.
This project began by drawing a city showing depth by overlapping and including items in the foreground and background. The drawing was outlined with black and texture rubbing plates were used to create different texture while coloring with crayons. Thanks to Jayme Durrwachter for sharing this project with me. Here is my lesson plan.
I needed to complete some simple printmaking with my kindergartner's and this lesson is what I came up with. We began by tracing six leaf shapes, six tulip flower shape and six daisy shapes all in permanent black marker. I plan to modify this for next year when I teach this again. Fewer flowers will work just as well.
Then I taped small and large bubble wrap pieces and a sheet of aluminium foil to the center of a 10 x 12" cardboard piece. I made one of each, for five different colors, yellow-green, blue, violet, magenta and red. Then I set up stations for each color with one small bubble wrap, one large bubble wrap and one aluminium foil. On the aluminium foil we painted it and used a cotton swab to draw a pattern into the paint and then printed one of our traced flowers. So the students moved around to each station and printed one of each printing plate in each of the five colors. The students really enjoyed the process and loved printing the bubble wrap. This took one and a half classes to complete. (One reason we'll do less flowers next year.)
Then we used a vase template to trace onto black paper and traced with white crayon. Using white crayon we added curved lines to break up the space and add pattern. Then the six leaves were cut out making sure to leave some of the black marker along the edge and glue in a circle around the top of the vase.
We cut out all the flowers but four and glued them randomly along the top of the vase. The last four flowers were cut out and we added cardboard scraps to the back of the remaining four flowers and glued to top of the vase to give some dimension to the collage.
This is one of the few lessons I came up with on my own. With Pintrest and the internet it's just too easy to use someone else's lesson ideas. I am very happy with how they all turned out and will teach it again next year. I woulds love to hear what you think!
My lesson plan can be found here. My instructional video is included below the slide show.
This lesson is from Patty at http://www.deepspacesparkle.com/. If you have never viewed this site you are missing out!
We began by reading the story "Monsters Don't Eat Broccoli" by Barbara Jean Hicks. Then first grade drew a monster on construction paper in black oil pastel, leaving the face blank. Then gadgets were stamped randomly across the monster. A cityscape was then drawn for the background using oil pastel and painted with liquid watercolor.
Finally scrap black and white construction paper was used to create eyes and a mouth for the monster. The finished monster was cut out and glued to the front of the cityscape. Such a fun lesson and I love the unique character that each piece has.
My lesson plan is here. My instructional video is below.
I usually do a circle weaving with 5th grade each year but we use a paper plate and then remove the weaving when we were finished. The problem I've seen over the years in doing it this way is the weaving would curl up and also look like a small sock hat instead of staying flat.
This year I stumbled across the way Mr. E (@http://www.artwithmre.com/) and I wanted to try it. The students really liked designing their cardboard looms. When we strung the warp string and began weaving it was a little tricky for some but once you get going with the weaving it really is a snap. Thanks to Mr E for sharing his lesson!
My lesson plan can be found here.
Check out my YouTube I've been teaching elementary Art for 18 years the last eight at Becky-David in the Francis Howell School District. Teaching Art is a great job and I absolutely love it! My job is made easier by all the wonderful Art teachers out there who share their ideas and "secrets" with me personally and through the internet. Thank you! Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel of instructional videos & book read alouds by pressing the button at the top right.
Number of Visitors
Thank you for checking out my classroom website. Below is my classroom blog, where I include pictures of student work and instructional videos. Above I have links to our student Artsonia gallery, Youtube channel and my Prezis. If you have any questions, leave me a comment and I'll respond as quickly as possible.