This lesson idea is from the amazing Tricia Fuglestad at http://drydenart.weebly.com/1/post/2013/06/animation-gtvideo-gtgif-gtpost.html. I followed her lesson by showing "the Lima Bean Monster" video on Tumblebook. We also used Tricia's monster handout idea sheets for ideas. I focused on the learning objective: I can create a figure in action (literally). My students absolutely loved this project and found the app easy to use when creating their monster. We all love the DoInk feature of auto-fill to easily and quickly color in their monster. We wish our other iPad creation apps had this feature! Thanks as always to Tricia Fuglestad for sharing her brilliant lesson ideas!
My best Art teacher friend, Sherry Sanning, from Garrett Elementary shared this lesson idea with me many years ago. The learning objective for this project is to produce a figure in an action pose. I first made a class set of posable figures of tag board and mini brads. After folding the paper in half two times the tag board patterns were used to place in an action pose and traced with pencil. Tempera cakes were used to paint the figures and background using only primary and secondary colors. When the paint was dry we used oil pastel to add small, neat pattern to the background or figure. I have included the lesson plan here and a link to the instructional video below.
With this lesson we learned about landscapes, types of landscapes and items you could find in a landscape. We began by looking at desert landscapes and cacti. I have a number of different types of cacti, so I talked about some of them, the colors, shapes and lines you can find in them and the flowers that bloom from them. Green, Yellow and black tempera were used and mixed together to get a variety of greens for the cactus. We used bleeding tissue paper to stain our sky color and torn paper towel to make the sand on our background paper. Then a cactus was drawn on the back of the green paper, cut out and glued onto the background. A scarp piece of cardboard and black tempera paint was used to stamp the cactus needles. I found this project idea at: www.mrspicassosartroom.blogspot.com My lesson plan can be found here and my instructional video is included below.
My second grade looked at the work of Henri Rousseau focusing on his jungle pictures. We identified the foreground and background in each piece and I introduced them to middle ground. We talked about his use of many different greens and how many looked like dreams because funny things were going on in some of the paintings.
We then used the DoInk app to create a background for our jungle and a foreground of tall grass. I then wrote a short list of different jungle animals and had the class vote on which one they'd like to draw in their jungle. One class chose a snake, one a lion and the last class chose a giraffe. We then completed a draw-a-long in the app to create our jungle animal. Then we added one or more frames to make slight changes to our animal for the final animation piece.
To see all my student's finished piece please click on my YouTube button in the top right corner of the screen.
We are working on identifying the arrangement of colors on a 12 part color wheel. We started with a circle that we folded into 12 equal spaces. We added a repeated line on the outer edge of each space which created a radial design. The center of each space was colored in the correct color wheel order using watercolor paint. The students mixed their intermediate colors. Finally the outer space along the edge was painted with the complement of the color it was touching. A complementary color is a color that is directly across the color wheel.
We are working on the learning objective, I can identify works of art from Asia. We discussed the Japanese holiday, Children's Day and why the carp was chosen as the symbol of this holiday. We folded our paper in half and placed our carp pattern along the fold. Traced the fish and cut it out leaving the paper folded to get a symmetrical shape. We used pencil and crayon to design and color our fish, similar to the real carp kites. We added tissue paper strips to the back of the tail. Then we glued them in half, making sure not to glue the mouth shut and stuffed them with newspaper.
I have included my instructional video below the slide show.
I found this idea on Pintrest and loved the idea of doing a snowman on pink paper, so I had to try it! The learning objective we were working on is, to create artwork that demonstrates ideas about the outdoors. With all the winter weather we've had this month I thought this was perfect! We started with white tempera paint to paint our snowman, falling snow and ground. Color construction paper was used for the hat, nose and scarf. For the final step we used black crayons to add the face and arms. Thanks to the site: artwithmrsa.blogspot.com for sharing this idea.
Check out my YouTube I've been teaching elementary Art for 18 years the last eight at Becky-David in the Francis Howell School District. Teaching Art is a great job and I absolutely love it! My job is made easier by all the wonderful Art teachers out there who share their ideas and "secrets" with me personally and through the internet. Thank you! Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel of instructional videos & book read alouds by pressing the button at the top right.
Number of Visitors
Thank you for checking out my classroom website. Below is my classroom blog, where I include pictures of student work and instructional videos. Above I have links to our student Artsonia gallery, Youtube channel and my Prezis. If you have any questions, leave me a comment and I'll respond as quickly as possible.