We began this piece with a long rectangle slab of clay and created a 3D cylinder shape. We then scored and slipped to close the top of the cylinder. Scrap clay was used to create eyes, beak, wings, feet ect. Finally, clay tools were used to create impressed texture. The pieces were fired, glazed and re-fired. For this lesson idea I was inspired by the clay owls on this website: www.biavatibottegadellestelle.it
My Lesson plan.
We began by looking at a photograph of a fire truck and traced the geometric shapes we could see on the Smartboard. We then used geometric shapes to draw our own fire truck. We outlined with black tempera paint and the second day we painted it with red tempera paint.
Found on msbandstrasartroom.blogspot.com
Third grade's learning objective was to create a container. We used clay and the hand building technique of using coils to create the walls of our container. I bisque fired the pieces and then each student glazed their piece, with "exploding glazes". I re-fired the piece to make the pieces shiny and waterproof.
Our learning objective was: I can create a sphere out of clay. We first discussed what a sphere is and I then showed my classes three different ways to create a sphere out of clay. After each student created and showed me their sphere they tapped it onto the table to create one flat side. I then bisque fired them. We then used black and red paint mixed with gloss medium to turn our clay pieces into lady bugs. I got this lesson idea from Warren Elementary in the Francis Howell School District.
This is one of my favorite drawings to do with Kindergarten. I do it each year around Halloween. I found this lesson from the amazing Tricia Fugelstad at drydenart.weebly.com. If you are not familiar with her work you must check out her blog!
I begin by reading the book; "There's a Monster Under the Bed" by James Howe. My read aloud is below.
Next we review different types of lines, focusing on the ones used in the drawing of their monster. I walk them through drawing their monster filling their paper. We then go over our drawing with permanent marker and color in with crayon. My lesson plan can be found here and my instructional video is below.
This is a combination of a couple of different projects I saw on Pintrest (from paintedpaperintheartroom.blogspot.com & Arapahoe Ridge Elementary on artsonia.com) and some of my own ideas or "tweaks" to cover three learning objectives. We began by working on our printmaking objective, I can create a monoprint. We briefly discussed printmaking in art and began working on the space background paper. We stamped a couple of circle gadgets, then used marbles and white tempera paint to roll paint across our paper to help make the space background. This was the first time I've ever painted with marbles. I think I had as much fun as my first graders with this activity!
During the second class, we began by designing and cutting out our spaceship. I created a number of tag-board patterns of spaceship parts. Each student used these patterns to design their own spaceship and then traced each pattern onto primary colored paper and cut the pieces out. I can identify and use the Primary colors was the second learning objective we were covering.
During the final day, each student glued their spaceship pieces together and then added tissue paper for the rocket booster fire. The last objective to cover was, I can identify the center or middle. So I asked first grade to place their spaceship in the center of their printed paper.
This was the first time I've taught this lesson. Overall I think it went well. My students really enjoyed the printmaking process and the subject matter. We took a class off during this project to make a pinch pot out of clay and they were very excited to get back to their spaceship to finish it. My instructional video is below.
This project covered a couple of different learning objectives. The first was, "I can use contour lines to show form" & the second was, "I can create value using layers of watercolor". We started with a contour line drawing of a pumpkin and then went over our drawing with glue. We then used watercolor paint to paint our work, making sure to show three vales on our pumpkin. We then traced the edges of our glue and the edges of our value changes with a fine tipped marker. The results are beautiful. I found this lesson idea from the Cedar Creek Elementary website. The art teacher is Linda Welling. Thanks Linda for sharing! My lesson plan can be found here. My instructional video is below.